Friday, June 5, 2009

Wants...

Some things I want for, and to do with, my son:

- I want him to enjoy reading as much, or more, than I do.

- I want him to love his country as much as I do.

- I want him to love the absolute joy of watching Rocky, and know that while all the Rocky movies are great, Rocky V never happened.

- I want to watch all the Star Trek movies with him, and for him to see the awesomeness of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the utter stupidity of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the coolness of Star Trek: First Contact, and the genius that is J.J. Abrams's Star Trek.

- I want him to love sports for the right reasons like the feeling I got watching Ole Miss beat Florida live, and even the gut-wrenching sadness of something like "The Fumble."

- I want him to appreciate history, and how it is can be a roadmap for the life laid out before him.

- I want to watch all six Star Wars movies with my son, but exactly how they came out: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3.

- I want him to understand what it feels like to not start for a team, and to know what it takes to get on the starting team.

- I want him to see one of his teams win a championship. I hope it's also one of my teams.

- I want him to learn how to put a worm on a hook, and take a fish off a hook.

- I want him to know how to tie a tie, change a tire, check the oil, and be the friend that will be the DD on occasion when he gets older.

- I want my son to love to learn, just like I do.

- Mostly I want my son to know he is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment